Hello! If you're visiting from Pinterest, welcome! Here's a little bit more about me and what you'll find here on Oakland Avenue. If you like this post, feel free to check out some of my other DIY's. And if your a mom to a little (or two or three, etc.) I'd love it if you checked out some of my motherhood posts - here are some of the most popular ones. You can also find me talking all about mommy stuff over on Facebook and Instagram each day. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy this post!
When Leather Hide Store approached me with the challenge of creating a DIY project with some of their leather, I knew exactly what I wanted to attempt to finally get the shoes I always wanted for Eli - baby moccasins. I've always adored the moccasins from Freshly Picked, so I decided to model my moccasins loosely off theirs.
To make the moccasins, I downloaded the Lil' Papoose Moccasin pattern from Peek-A-Boo Pattern Shop. The PDF gives all the directions for making the mocs from start to finish, and comes with pattern pieces you can cut out your leather from.
Working with leather is tricky. It's an entirely different beast from regular fabrics. It's thick and heavy, sticks to the presser foot and just seems to have a mind of its own. Besides the leather, you'll need a few additional supplies to make the mocs:
- 1/4" elastic
- Teflon presser foot (I've heard you can also put scotch tape on the bottom of your regular one)
- Bodkin (although I didn't end up using it - I'll show you why a bit further down)
- Leather needles
- Thread (I stuck with regular thread in the color of the leather)
- Fabric pen to mark your pattern on the leather
I also threw down some scotch tape on the metal parts of my machine, to help the leather feed through better. There was still A LOT of hand wheel sewing going on because it stuck so much.
Threading the elastic was incredibly difficult. I finally asked Mike to engineer a way to get the elastic through because my bodkin just was not cutting it with the stiffness of the leather and my seam that may or may not have been a little to small.
Mike ended up jimmy rigging a wire attached to the elastic and feeding it through (check out the pic below). It took him a while. And lots of patience.
And after quickly sewing the two ends of the elastic together, they were done!
Lest you think it was easy-peasy or actually think I'm a good sewer at all, please take a look at my first two victims. If you look closely, you'll see I literally sewed the foot on the left one inside out. Beginner's mistake. But that is what I am, so no shame.
Overall, it actually was fairly easy to do. Beyond cutting out all the pieces, there's only about five other steps. It took a bit for me to get the hang of working with leather, and well, I've never made shoes of any kind before, so there was definitely a bit of a learning curve, but it was worth it to see Eli sport these mocs.
This is a sponsored post with a giveaway provided by Leather Hide Store. All opinions are my own.